As a parent of a child with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND), navigating the education and healthcare systems can be overwhelming. It can feel like nobody really understands what you and your child are going through. Fortunately, the Tower Hamlets SEND Independent Parent Forum is here to help. Our organization is dedicated to empowering parents of children with SEND and giving them a voice in the decisions that affect their children.
The Tower Hamlets SEND Independent Parent Forum was established in 2018 to support parents of children with SEND in the borough. Our aim is to work in partnership with local authorities, schools, and health services to improve outcomes for children with SEND. We believe that parents are experts on their own children, and that they should be at the center of any decision-making process.
We provide free, confidential advice and support to parents of children with SEND. This includes:
- Helping parents understand their child’s educational and healthcare needs
- Providing information on local services and support groups
- Assisting parents in making appeals or complaints
- Representing parents’ views in meetings with local authorities, schools, and health services
Since our establishment, we have made a significant impact in the Tower Hamlets community. We have:
- Organized parent-led workshops on topics such as autism and ADHD
- Provided training to teachers and school staff on how to support pupils with SEND
- Worked with local authorities to improve the quality of SEND provision in the borough
- Campaigned for increased funding for SEND services
- Supported countless parents in navigating the education and healthcare systems
If you are a parent of a child with SEND in Tower Hamlets, we encourage you to get involved with our organization. You can join our mailing list to receive updates on our work and upcoming events, or become a member to have a say in the direction of our organization. Together, we can work towards a better future for children with SEND in Tower Hamlets.